Thursday, July 30, 2009

Respect for Authority

I posted before that in my opinion one of the reasons society is so messed up is because of the lack of accountability, no one wants to be held accountable for their actions. Well today I look at another reason I think is promoting the decline of society and that is the lack of respect for authority. Yet as I read my bible i see that God is very clear about this subject. this morning I was reading the 13 chapter of the book of Romans and there we see how God defines authority and what our duties are.

In this chapter, Paul is very clear in pointing out that government (authority) exists because God allows it to exist. Therefore, we are told to submit to the government as we would submit to God Himself. And we may wonder how God could want us to submit to authorities who do not always act with perfect justice. Well this too is addressed in the Bible, for example we see in the book of Acts 4:13-22 that there is a place for civil disobedience. Sometimes we need to resist evil, even if it is sanctioned by the governing authorities. But we must remember that we are called to support and obey authorities that seek to uphold justice. However, when governing authorities stand in direct contradiction to God's will, we need to seek the support of others and try to change the situation.

No comments: