Friday, July 31, 2009

The Danger of Criticism

Criticism is something that lures and entices people, and can destroy relationships, and cause major problems in the church, we must be vigilant and take personal inventory of our lives and see if we fall pray to this. Today I took some interesting thoughts from my time with the Lord dealing with this same subject, I was reading from Romans chapter 14. This is what I took:

We may find it easy to judge and criticize others who are still struggling spiritually. We might even be tempted to show them how "strong" we are by participating in activities that would cause them to stumble, tempt them to sin, or even offend them. We must realize that even if we have progressed spiritually to the point that certain circumstances no longer trouble us, we still need to be sensitive to the fact that our friends may be led astray by our activities. I know that we might say that is a big responsibility, but is what Jesus expects of us. And our love for others should lead us to avoid activities that might lead to their downfall. I found that the more mature we are, the more responsible we will be to respond to others in a loving way.

At times we may be tempted to point out and criticize the failures of others instead of looking critically at our own lives. But let me remind you that it isn't our primary responsibility to "straighten" out other people's lives. Besides, the job of "straightening" out our own lives is more than enough to keep us busy. If we spend our time pointing the finger at others, we will never make progress ourselves.

1 comment:

Carolina Sequeira said...

Thank you. I will study Romans 14 to see what I can take from it. I pray that God gives me the right discernment to avoid the things that will make me stumble, and I pray that he never allows me to become a stumbling block for anyone. I am forever grateful that God has called me to Him and that I can praise Him and worship Him with the gift that he has given me. Thank you my Lord, my Daddy for thinking of me when you gave your life for me.