Thursday, February 28, 2008

Blessing through Restoration

I [will] restore the prosperity of Judah and Jerusalem. (Joel 3:1 )

God doesn’t judge to bring about waste but to bring about prosperity. His hand of discipline doesn’t come to make us less, but to make us more. When God disciplines us, it is a sign of his unmatched love for us, not his wrath or retribution.
The writer of Hebrews reminds us of this truth: “My child, don’t ignore it when the Lord disciplines you, and don’t be discouraged when he corrects you. For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes those he accepts as his children” (Hebrews 12:5-6 ).

I love my children with a passion and would never do anything to harm them. As a father, much of my time is spent seeing to their needs. I want them to be happy and healthy and well nourished. I want them to be protected from harm. I watch over them, hug them, teach them, cherish them, and love them without condition. But there are times when what they most need from me is discipline and correction. I would rather hold them, but love demands that I scold them. I know the harm that can come to them when they are disobedient. I’ve seen what unchecked and rebellious behavior can lead to, and I would do anything to see that my children don’t fall into that kind of lifestyle. My words of caution and discipline come from a heart of complete love and devotion. And they understand that truth.

God wants us to understand that truth about him as well. When God’s prophets bring warnings to his people of his judgment for their sin, there is always a reminder of God’s love. After bringing one of Scripture’s most powerful messages of judgment, the prophet Joel promises restoration on the heels of it. “Rejoice in the Lord your God! For the rains he sends are an expression of his grace. Once more the autumn rains will come, as well as the rains of spring. The threshing floors will again be piled high with grain, and the presses will overflow with wine and olive oil” (Joel 2:23-24 ).

When you find yourself in the midst of God’s discipline, take comfort in the knowledge that his purpose is restoration. His desire is not to harm you but to build you up and bring you even greater blessings than before.

No comments: