Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Giving God the Credit

That night the secret was revealed to Daniel in a vision. Then Daniel praised the God of heaven. (Daniel 2:19 )

What do you do on the heels of God's mercy and provision? You praise him for his kindness.

Daniel understood that principle. When king Nebuchadnezzar had a horrible dream, God not only told Daniel what the dream was but he provided the interpretation. Because of it, the king spared the lives of his advisers the once wise men, who had come inches from becoming dead men. Daniel's intervention in the matter was the only thing that saved all of them from the king's wrath.

When God revealed the king's dream to Daniel, the first thing he did was bless God for his goodness. The king could wait for the interpretation; Daniel had more important matters to attend to first. "Praise the name of God forever and ever, for he alone has all wisdom and power …. He reveals deep and mysterious things …. I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors, for you have given me wisdom and strength" (Daniel 2:20-23 ).

The secret to Daniel's wisdom and strength was that he never forgot where it came from. He knew that if it weren't for God he would have no reason to boast. And because of it, he boasted only in God's power, never in his own ability.

There are times when I find myself pretty impressed with the things I do. When people compliment me I feel the compliments going to my head sometimes and quickly I have to remind myself that I had little to do with it. God is the strength and wisdom behind all I do. In my heart I know that, though I'm tempted so often to take credit.

No comments: