Sunday, January 7, 2007

SEATTLE - Unbelievable.


How else can you explain it? An entire season of ups and downs, filled with sprinkles of both hope and disappointment, came crashing down to a bitter end Saturday night at Qwest Field in Seattle.

The Cowboys had their chances to win. Instead, they're going home empty-handed with a 21-20 defeat to the Seahawks in the NFC wild-card game, one that for me will surely linger long into the off-season.

How ironic, quarterback Tony Romo seeing so many of his passes dropped all season long. Yet, during the most crucial play of the season to this point, it was Romo coming up with the biggest drop of all.

Romo, also the holder on field goal attempts, simply dropped the snap on Martin Gramatica's 19-yard field goal attempt that would've given the Cowboys a two-point lead with 1:24 to play and the way the defense was playing a date to play next Saturday.

"It's just a heartbreaker, as you could imagine," a dejected Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells said afterwards. "It was just a mishandled snap. It seemed like a good snap. I don't really know what happened after that." That last part of his quote seems to sumarize Parcell's season. In my opinion he always looked like he didn't know what happened.

Just like that, Romo's magical season - one that started when he entered the starting lineup in mid-season, won five of his first six starts, led the Cowboys to the playoffs and earned an improbable Pro Bowl selection along the way - came to an unbelievable ending, with Romo on the wrong end of such an important blunder.

To say Romo was emotional afterwards would be a complete understatement. The young quarterback sat at his locker with his head buried in his hands for several minutes. Despite encouraging pep talks from both Terrell Owens and owner Jerry Jones, Romo said nothing could erase the stinging pain he felt after the game.

"I don't know if I've ever felt this low before," Romo said in the post-game news conference, doing everything possible to fight back tears. "I take responsibility for this. I cost the Dallas Cowboys a playoff win. And that's going to sit with me for a long time.

"I'm just in shock right now. I just didn't get (the snap) down. Everything happened pretty quick after that. All I know is that I didn't get it down. Obviously, that cost us the game."

Another football season ends in dissapointment for my Boys but there is always next year. "Go Boys".

No comments: